Thieves oil is one of those blends I feel everyone should know about. It has so many uses and is a good natural alternative to chemical based products. Thieves oil dates back to the 15th Century (1413) when the whole Europe was engulfed by the Bubonic Plague or Black Death. A small group of thieves seemed immune to the disease. They would enter the homes of Black Plague victims and steal jewellery and money, with no fear of touching the infected bodies. The Thieves came from a long lineage of apothecaries and had knowledge of how to use oils medicinally and prophylactically against disease. The oil blend they rubbed all over their bodies protected them from this deadly disease.
Thieves oil is a potent blend of essential oils which really does work! The image above shows a petri dish filled with with E.coli bacteria. In the middle is filter paper soaked with Young Living Thieves oil. As you can see, the E.coli didn’t stand a chance!
How to use Thieves Oil
NOTE: Always test essential oil on the soft part of your inner arm to check for any reactions. Not everyone can tolerate essential oils. When applying directly to the skin, dilute in a little carrier oil. If you are pregnant or breast feeding, consult with a qualified therapist before using essential oils.
- Germs – Diffuse to kill airborne bacteria, germs and mould
- Colds and Flu – Diffuse, apply to the soles of feet or take internally to help relieve cold and flu symptoms by placing a few drops in a capsule and swallowing with water
- Toothache – Apply directly to the gums to numb toothache or gums
- Headache – Place a drop on your thumb and press to the roof of your mouth for headache relief
- Sore Throat – Add a couple of drops to a cup of hot water to create a thieves tea, drink or gargle this mixture to help sooth the sore throat
- Bee & Wasp Stings – Apply to bee and wasp stings to neutralise toxins and stop pain
- Airborne germs – Diffuse 6-8 drops of Thieves oil to eliminate airborne bacteria
- Aches & Pains – Rub 2 -4 drops of Thieves oil in 1 tbsp. of carrier oil (olive/sweet almond/jojoba oil) on aches and pains
- Plant and flower insect repellent – Mix 4 drops in 4 oz water to spray on plants and flowers
Thieves Spray Recipe
2oz Dark glass bottle
1 tsp Organic witch hazel
10-15 Drops of thieves oil
Almost 2 oz of distilled water
Use this spray to kill airborne germs and as a hand sanitiser. I’m going to take mine into the supermarket and spray the trolley handle – I’m sure that’s where I picked my last cold up from!!